Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Choosing a Style for my Garden

The first task I've set myself - before I even start putting plans on paper - is to decide on an overall style of garden.

Now, I've always rather fancied having a Japanese style garden. Serene water features, oriental statues, bonsai and perfectly pruned maples.


photo credit: **Mary** via photopin cc


But somehow it just doesn't seem right for a suburban back garden in Manchester. And I suspect rather high maintenance, not to mention cost.

So I've had to look for rather more practical options.

I'm not really a country cottage person - although I do love climbing roses.

At the other extreme, an ultra contemporary design with lots of hard landscaping seems a little cold and unnatural. Not to mention straining the budget to bursting.

A wildlife garden has it's appeal - and I certainly want to include some wildlife friendly plants and features - but many of the examples I've seen do tend to be, how can I put this, a little scruffy at times. Wonderful in summer but less attractive in winter.


photo credit: London Permaculture via photopin cc

So what I've decided is to go for a style I'm going to call "Urban Oasis". Lush with touches that reflect its city location (not exactly sure what yet).

I'm using Pinterest to collect some ideas. If you haven't discovered this yet, I'd recommend it, although it can be very addictive. If you'd like to follow my garden board, click below or the box in the sidebar - I'd love to follow your garden boards too.


No comments:

Post a Comment